Monday, April 30, 2012

Pan de Maluggay for Breakfast

I am no breakfast fan, unless I'm traveling and need to fuel up for the day or else it's a sumptuous meal like the breakfasts served in Antonio's. 

When I'm in Manila though, I rarely eat breakfast. But like your typical Filipino, I love HOT pan de sals in the morning when I can get it. It is therefore LOVE when I discovered this added OOMPH in the good ol' pan de sal.

Meet Pan de Maluggay. 

I'm not bothering to tell you where I got it, it's just your roadside bakery somewhere in Manila City.  I admire how the owner thought of creating something like this. It's probably that they have some malunggay planted in their backyard. Or else somebody was sick and needed to eat something healthy.

For those who doesn't know, Malunggay is internationally known as moringa oleifera. It is a "significant source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, provitamin A as beta-carotene, magnesium and protein, among other nutrients". Pan de Maluggay is therefore a lot better than the plain one, taste-wise and nutrition-wise.




One can barely taste the supposed bitter taste of malunggay. I can only taste the fragrant buttery mix of the pan de sals. But then, I'm no epicure. :) 

What makes this even better is that it is sold for the same price as the typical pan de sal. Malunggay is after all a very cheap herb to buy.

I hope bakeries would come up with more twists like this to liven up Filipinos' mornings. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment